Sunday, September 1, 2013

Mombo!

   How to describe Mombo? Um, it's freaking amazing.  Like no joke, this is near perfection (minus the spiders). We get there and there are Beans bidding me welcome!!!
  Greeted by an excellent staff of Graham and (aunt) Jemima.  Saw Family friends who are the Hoods (two deep southern families with accents all over the place may have been too much for some of the staff).  Met the legendary Sefo.  Sefo was my parents favorite part of Africa last time they visited... maybe not THE favorite but one of the ones for sure.  Fairly certain they'd choose him with his wife and child over me...    anyways, Sefo took us on amazing game drives.  We saw Lions (the 2 male to 4 female prides), leopards, hyenas and much more.  My father, unfortunately, loves to berate the elephants which causes them to charge.  I like to live and comment and that's very hard to do when you have been trampled by elephant like this.  At night, we had great meals and then went back to our tents.  I then promptly checked for any bugs (spiders) that may be in my room (only spiders)  so that I can get rid of them (KILL ALL THE SPIDERS!).
A World Free of the Tyranny of Spiders
  My mother told me that not many things hunt and kill spiders outside of Cambodians (it's a delicacy for them).  This makes me ecstatic.  Why aren't there more Cambodians in the world?? Alas, this was Botswana and I have been given a can of insecticide called DOOM.  It's not even legal in the U.S. that's how potent it is.  Apparently, you spray this on any bug and it's the equivalent of dropping a nuke in their lungs.  Well the title works well for me!  So inside my mosquito net with DOOM right beside me and a book (old fashioned way of getting rid of your problems [again, just spiders]), I was living the life! Then 5 AM rolled around and back on the game drive I go!  We saw a pride of lions munching on some Hippo, a Wild Dog (the coolest) called Solo, some very cool Hyena puppies, and a Wildebeest trying to fit in with some Zebra.  
  Lane by this time is pulling jokes left and right.  Calling the Zebras fratty (ze-braaaaa) and the pack of wild dogs are like sorority rush at Ole Miss.  So nothing at Mombo was ever boring.  Also! We had an outside SURPRISE lunch!  It was awesome.  We as well saw a Leopard eating it's lunch in a tree.  It was a Baboon she had tucked away in case she wanted snacks later.  My kind of animal.  Finally though, it was time for us to leave.  Sefo, Graham, and Jemima all came to wish us farewell.  Leaving Sefo apparently is hell on my mom.  Caroline joined in on this one.  Watching Sefo say goodbye my mom had this moment.  If you saw that video I'm sorry you had to see that, but it is the most accurate representation of what went down.  So we left Mombo (I WILL RETURN!!!), and on to our final camp, Jao.   

No comments:

Post a Comment